Advent

Monday, November 28, 2011















































I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving! I love Thanksgiving for 2 reasons. First, I love spending time with the people I love, while eating food. Second, it rings in my favorite time of the year. Whether you celebrate Christmas or another holiday, this time of year is so magical.

One of my favorite traditions that I grew up with is advent with an advent wreath. This is a tradition passed down from my German heritage. Advent is celebrated the four weeks leading up to Christmas Eve. At the beginning of each week (we celebrate on Sundays) you light the candles consecutively by week. The first week, you light only the first candle, the second  week you light the first and the second, etc. The week of Christmas, all four candles are lit. Traditionally, each week after the candle(s) are lit, you pray and read scriptures. Instead, my family growing up just did a Christmas activity together. Like decorating the tree, making cookies or reading Christmas stories. I love how it really sets the tone and gets you in the spirit for the whole week.

Yesterday was my first advent with just my husband. We spent the day putting up the Christmas decorations, drinking hot chocolate and listening to Christmas music. It was lovely.

What sort of traditions do you have in your home?

I'm loving these non-traditional advent wreaths {1, 2}

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you.
I really do!