The Dreaded Interview

Tuesday, January 10, 2012














































Find these items here: {1, 23, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8}

For those of you who don't already know, I just got a new job last week! I'm very excited to be moving towards my career! But the interview process was horrible!! I didn't interview with the company just once, nor twice... but three times! It was painful!

So before my first interview I Googled "what to wear to a job interview". Let me just say, it wasn't very helpful. So here are MY tips on dressing for an interview. They worked for me!

1. Look professional.  Whether you are interviewing with a nail salon, a clothing store, a restaurant or a law firm, look sharp. Wear slacks (or dark nice jeans) & a blazer. Then dress it up or down depending on the job you're interviewing for.

2. Wear neutrals & pastels. Most of the websites I read said to wear nothing but neutrals. I have to disagree. Neutrals should make up most of your interview wardrobe, but add bits off color (you don't want to come off as boring)!  Whether it's wearing a light pink shirt or perhaps light yellow flats. Color will add a little interest to your outfit.

3. Dress modestly. This could be the most important one on my list. Don't wear anything too form fitting. Also be careful of the length of your skirt & the neckline of your shirt. They are hiring someone to represent their company & you can't be sure how conservative they are. To be safe go with a nice fitting pair of slacks & a button up.

4. Wear your best lingerie.  This might seem really silly, especially after my last tip. But it is important to feel your 100% absolute best. Undies included. Although they won't be seeing any of your lingerie (lets hope), you'll feel a difference.

5. Make a bold statement, without going too over the top. You want them to remember you, but still want to come off as professional. Wear a statement necklace (not too extreme). Or if you really want to be noticed, a fun pair of shoes. But choose only one or the other & make sure they are still classy.

What have you worn to passed interviews? Did any of these work for you?

If you have plan on getting a new job, I wish you the best of luck!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

This is great advice. Honestly I don't even remember what I wore to my last interview, it feels like ages ago. Love the ensemble you've put together here, though!

Natalie said...

I completely agree with you. When I was interviewing I googled what to wear and the advice sounded like it hadn't been updated in ten years...There is a way to look professional without looking uptight and boring.

Rebecca said...

These are great tips....and I think the lingerie one is so so funny ;) Congrats on the new job, girl!!

rebecca said...

congrats to you! such fun tips!

paislea said...

i love that pink - silk zimmermann top!!

allister bee blog

mandyface said...

I NEED those shoes. Immediately.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you.
I really do!